You may have noticed that I seem obsessed with brownies and blondies. This is my third post in a row on the matter. First it was Low Carb Brownies, then Gluten Free Blondies and now these. I want to give you options and an important one is a a delicious square that is all the frees – gluten, dairy, sugar, and low carb.
I’ve experimented quite a bit with this recipe to get it right. I think I have. It’s surprising to me how adding one more tablespoon of ghee made the blondies greasy and a half a teaspoon more of xanthan gum made them a bit more chewy.
In addition to touting the success and yumminess of these blondies I also think it’s important to be honest. I think they’re really good but I don’t think they are as good as the Gluten Free (but carby) ones from last week. My daughter agrees. My good friend does not. She likes these better. I’d really love to hear which ones you prefer!
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons almond or coconut milk (for dairy free) or cow's milk
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour (also called almond meal)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 Tablespoons ghee (for dairy free), melted and cooled; may also use unsalted butter (for dairy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup xylitol or erythritol (for low carb) or coconut sugar (for carby)
- 1 cup sugar-free chocolate chips (for low carb), or carob or dark chocolate chips (for more carbs)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For easy blondie removal line a 9-inch square baking pan with a foil sling. Lay two 9-inch wide pieces of aluminum foil in pan, perpendicular to each other, with extra foil hanging over the side of the pan. Push and smooth foil into sides and corner of pan. Grease foil (I spray with coconut oil). You can also just grease the pan.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt and combine well.
- Add melted ghee (or butter), vanilla, and xylitol (or other sweetener), and chocolate chips. Mix well.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan (dough will be pretty firm) and bake for 28-32 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- May be served warm. These also taste great frozen.