My friend Hannah is a gifted cook and baker. She created these incredible low carb, gluten free brownies and I found them so delicious that I am moved to share them with you. So here’s my first post by a guest cook!
These brownies are fudgey and everything you’re hoping a brownie would be. As my friend David said, “you’d never know they aren’t normal brownies,” which coming from him is the ultimate compliment. As for normal – they’re anything but. They feature avocado as a main ingredient and are gluten free. Do not be put off by the avocado. You’d never know. It’s just part of the magic of these wonderful brownies.
A little about Hannah – if you live in Hawaii and are looking for someone to cook yummy things for you you’re in luck! Hannah is a holistic chef and baker who will cook to order for you. Desserts, main courses, breads…whatever you’d like, however often you’d like it. She is offering personalized nourishing meals and desserts to fit any dietary goals or lifestyles and she makes the best gluten free whole grain loaf of bread around. I think she wants to keep that recipe a secret!
Here’s Hannah’s contact information: 206-434-0868 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coconut oil or spray for greasing pan
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal plus 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (Note: you can substitute any all purpose gluten free flour blend that you have on hand)
- 3/4 cup cacao powder (preferably organic and raw)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (preferably aluminum free)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon espresso powder or finely ground French roast beans of your choice
- 1/2 ripe avocado (about a palm size avocado)
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/8 cup coconut sugar
- 1/8 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar (preferably Bragg's)
- Optional additions: toasted walnuts, chocolate or carob chips (sweetened or unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" x 9" baking pan with coconut oil or coconut oil spray.
- Place flaxseed meal in a small bowl and cover with 2 teaspoons hot water. Let rest.
- Put almond meal, tapioca flour, cacao powder, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder in a large bowl and combine well.
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl. Add coconut oil, hot water, vanilla , coconut sugar and molasses and stir until avocado is smooth. (If there are a few small chunks of avocado that's ok. They blend in during baking.) Add avocado mixture to dry ingredients and stir with rubber spatula to combine.
- Pace the baking soda and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. When it starts to fizz, mix into batter mixture along with the flaxseed mixture. Mix in any nuts or chips if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake at 350° for 20 - 25 minutes or until center is set and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about one hour before slicing - if you can wait that long!
- Note: Recipe may be doubled and baked in a 9"x 13" pan. Extend baking time by about 5 minutes.